Sunday, August 31, 2008

Breastfeeding

According to Wikipedia, Breastfeeding is the feeding of an infant or young child with breast milk directly from a woman's breasts, not from a baby bottle or other container. Babies have a sucking reflex that enables them to suck and swallow milk. It is possible for most mothers to nourish their infant (or infants in the case of twins and multiple births) by breastfeeding for the first six months, if not longer, without the supplement of infant formula milk or solid food.

My mother breastfed me until I was three years old. I also breastfed my own children - the three of them. I also encouraged my daughter to breastfeed her daughter.

When I had my girl, I never had second thoughts on deciding to breastfeed her. Afterall, breastfeeding is the best for my baby. I am lucky to have a mother who guided and inspired me how to properly breastfeed my baby. I also have an aunt, who is a doctor and advocate of breastfeeding. She also taught me how to breatfeed my baby and how to keep myself healthy to be able to keep on breastfeeding my baby for the longest time as possible.

I am very happy that my daughter is breastfeeding her daughter (my granddaughter). And she can produce a good supply of breastmilk, more than what my granddaughter could feed on.

My Girl is now almost three months old. Even if now that her mommy goes out often to attend her review classes, My Girl doesn't miss any breastmilk she needs. Thanks to the breastfeeding techniques we learned from my mom, my auntie, my sister (who is a pediatrician).

How?

My daughter 'saves' her breastmilk and store them in a plastic container and store them in the freezer. She expresses the extra breastmilk (using a breast pump) after breastfeeding My Girl. As of now, we have frozen breastmilk stored, enought to feed My Girl for one week!

When my daughter is not around, a container or two of frozen breastmilk are taken out of the freezer and thawed. When the frozen breastmilk has been thawed, the breastmilk is transferred to My Girl's Avent feeding bottle, and kept in the refrigerator until its needed.

Once My Girl gets hungry, it only take a few minutes to heat-up the breastmilk. The Avent bottle is placed in the Avent bottle warmer for a few minutes and the breastmilk is now ready for My Girl to consume.

Preparation

Not every mother could have the capability to breastfeed. For a mother to have this capability, she has to prepare herself mentally and physically. Mentally, to think positive always that she can do it and she will have much breastmilk, more than enough that her baby would need. And preparing herself physically by eating the right foods and keeping herself healthy.
-----------
Helpful websites about breastfeeding : www.breastfeeding.com

No comments:

Amazon.com SALE !

Amazon.com SALE !